Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The "SNIPE" Wednesday August 11, 2010 (5)

Thanks for visiting Bob Lilly's Comic and and Stories. Today's comic is The "Snipe" number 5.

Today's Story could be called "Bob Lilly Mouths off". In other words, an opinion piece.

I speak now in support of my childhood (and adult) heroes, Steve Ditko and Jack Kirby. To be blunt, if I ran the world the comics Spider-man, Dr. Strange, Captain America, Fantastic Four, Sgt. Fury, Iron Man, X-Men, Thor, Hulk, The Avengers, and others would have ended when these men chose to leave Marvel Comics. That is UNLESS Marvel comics made a contractural arrangement on equal non-coercive terms with each of these character creators. I kid you not. Spider-Man would have ended at issue 38 back in the mid-1960s when Steve Ditko stopped unless arrangements were made with Steve.
I often express this opinion and have heard comics fans counter with, "I don't agree because you wouldn't have had the John Romita Spider-Man". This misses my point entirely. It is not an artistic or enjoyment thing... to me it is a moral issue.  Without Steve Ditko, there would not have been Spider-Man. He actualized the character and many of the basic elements. He had "skin in the game". So why would he not own a piece of his creation? 
I absolutely believe the same way about Jack Kirby and his creations that he actualized. Feel free to disagree with me about this issue.  If I ran the planet Earth, creators would have inalienable rights. A corporation would not automatically own an intellectual property because they furnished the paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment